About the Gimlet Eye Email me! New Orleans posts Home Image Map

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Guest Post from Birthday Girl: Hosting Monograms and Mimosas

Hello Gimleters! Jessie asked me to do a follow up on her sister's recent Monograms & Mimosas bridal shower and offer a few tips on how to throw one for your own special occasion. Given how much I happen to love monograms (and mimosas... but I'm pregnant at the moment, so let's not tempt me further), I was only too happy to oblige. Here's a little inspiration board for y'all and my suggestions on how to bring this theme to life...






1. Coordinate with color: For the purposes of this board I went with a yellow & orange citrus palette to play off the mimosas. Honestly, any color combo will work with the theme, but these colors happen to make decorating simple. Accent basic white tablecloths with centerpieces of fresh fruit and highlight with bright seasonal flowers or fruit trees.



2. Create a consistent monogram and add it everywhere you can think of... from the invites to the napkins. Oh, and the menus... and stir sticks... and coasters... the list is basically as endless as your budget. A site like Before your Party allows you to create your own custom monogram and apply it to all the elements of your choosing.



3. This theme obviously lends itself to a brunch, so plan for a traditional mix of sweets and savories, and consider one signature dish... like this recipe for baked orange pecan french toast.



4. A mimosa bar feels like a must, doesn't it? In addition to champagne and OJ, offer a few surprising additions like fresh orange slices, strawberries, mint leaves, or peach nectar.



5. Send your guests home with a sweet favor as a thank you for attending... like these monogrammed cookies from the Gumdrop Cookie Shop packaged in ribbon-tied cello bags.

By the way... if you should happen to host a party like this yourself in the coming months, I'd love to see the outcome. Feel free to submit your party pics to me at: birthdaygirlblog{at}gmail.com. You just might get featured! Additionally (and please forgive the shameless self-promotion) if you like what you see, I also offer custom inspiration boards for birthdays, showers and other events as a service through my blog. Check it all out here.
 
Photo Credits

Row 1: invite via minted; paper decorations via silly bees chickadees; lemon centerpiece & mimosas via martha stewart

Row 2: cookie via gumdrop cookie shop; mimosa display via eddie ross

Row 3: citrus table setting n/a; centerpiece via the knot; champagne bar via todd events; coasters via wedding bee pro

Row 4: napkins via wedding bee pro; french toast via florida’s natural; orange table via hwtm
 
**EDITOR'S NOTE:  Thanks, Becca!  I highly encourage the Gimleters to head to Birthday Girl for more succulent eye candy and fun ideas. 
 
Cheers,
 
JSH

6 comments:

  1. Such good ideas for a fun soiree, thank you for the post! Can't wait to check out your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully, after May I shall NEVER be a bridesmaid again, but I would LOVE to implement some of these ideas for a birthday party, baby shower, etc. Awesome post, THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute. your blog is super fun. im enjoying the read! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the perfect concept for a 'Sip and See' to shower a new monogram loving mother after her sweet bundle of baby joy arrives!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an adorable idea for a shower (or any party really!). I did a citrus inspired menu for supper club recently, and I have to say that fresh fruit simply arranged makes such a nice centerpiece!

    I can't wait to see more of your fantastic inspiration boards!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully, after May I shall NEVER be a bridesmaid again, but I would LOVE to implement some of these ideas for a birthday party, baby shower, etc. Awesome post, THANKS!! I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete