About the Gimlet Eye Email me! New Orleans posts Home Image Map

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Bold and the Beautiful


Hi everyone! My name is Adrianne Bugg and I started my business, Lambchop Designs, in 2008. Lambchop Designs is "Fun Art for Cool Kids"!!! I am beginning to focus on nursery and big-kid room design. Needless to say, I was really flattered and excited when Jessie asked me to guest blog today.

One of the nursery/kid design topics that BURNS a hole in my head is about BOLD, BEAUTIFUL color. If you have ever been to my site, www.lambchopdesigns.com, you will know about my obsession with real color. Don't get me wrong, I love a good pastel baby room as much as anyone. BUT, let's be honest: do you want your kid's room to look like everyone else's? If you read The Gimlet Eye, then, clearly not! Every room needs a little "kick in the pants" sometimes. Let's look at some bold nursery options, shall we?

We'll start SOFT:
 
  
Both of these pics come from another favorite blog: 
She references Urban Grace.

I think you should refer to Jessie's recent post about spray can nozzle attachments. Buy that and some gold spray paint. Have an old Jinny Lind? I do. Paint that beauty! (Side note: This topic makes me want to talk about painting antiques. It's ok. Seriously. Do it.)

Then, get BOLDER:

Rather than sticking with the soft pinks shown above (which is GORG), I would prefer pairing it with the "Catalina" duvet from Serena and Lily:
 
There is absolutely NO reason you can't have it made into a clever bumper (or toddler-sized duvet) and some fab pillow for the STARK WHITE glider that you will, no doubt, buy to go with the ensemb:


 

This glider is worth the money, people. No substitutes allowed. Believe me, I have tried! Plus, it is slip-covered. Throw that sucker in the wash with some Oxi Clean...milk spills and sticky suckers = GONE.

Don't forget this fun "truck" pillow if you have a boy:

 
Or, this cutie if you have a girlie:
I found her at River Birch Gifts in White Stone, VA (804) 435-1215

And....BOLDER:

Ok. On to the WALLS. You didn't think I would let this one go, now, did you? (www.lambchopdesigns.com)
One of my favorite collections is the Astrology Series (if I do say so, myself!). It is quirky and cute and will add a little BOLD to your beautiful room. Here are just a few to wet your palate:

 
 
  

 My last "clever" idea of the day...framing dishcloths! I could make this a whole WEEK of posts!! When I was decorating my son's nursery (he is now 2 1/2), I was in love with pastels and, as Jessie would say, "NATCH" needed a POP of color. So...a trip to Anthropologie and a staple gun later...VOILA! (Please note thta the green turtle dishcloth is in a handy frame from Target..$20. I bought green satin ribbon from Benjamin Franklin (a craft store near me) and staple-gunned it to the back to hang.) PERFECT given the light blue and white fish theme going on.





I hope this had been helpful! I have a LOT more where that came from. Make sure to tune in to Lambchop Designs in the near future. I am starting my kid's design blog very soon! If you have questions or want to sign up for my newsletters, email me: Adrianne. We will continue to decorate the theme I've started here!

THANK YOU to Jessie for this fun experience.

Happy decorating and BE BOLD!

Adrianne




















1 comment:

  1. Love the post! The framed dishclothes is a fantastic idea. And am dying at the "Ben Franklin" reference, love that All Thing Colonial are still alive and well in VA!

    ReplyDelete