About the Gimlet Eye Email me! New Orleans posts Home Image Map

Thursday, February 11, 2010

At St. Germain's, we'll treat you right...

Does anyone remember that local New Orleans TV commerical?  "At St. Germain's, we'll treat you right, where quality always exceeds the price!"  Maybe I can search for that lil jingle on youtube.com.  VERY off topic, but whenever I think of my favorite liqueur it pops into my head.

Anyhoo, simply put, I love St. Germain.  It has become a minor obsession since last summer when I introduced it to one of my fabulously creative and fun friends, Emily, after seeing an ad for it in a magazine.  We enjoyed it throughout our beach trip, taste testing our way through many of the recipes provided in the nifty mini recipe book that comes with the beautiful bottle.

The inside is just as beautiful as the outside!  Yum. 


However, now that it is going to be an absolutely frigid Mardi Gras, Emily and I have set out to create the perfect warming "hot toddy" with nothing other than S.G., of course!  Mardi Gras is sort of like camping sometimes.  Why not live out your (okay, my) "Troop Beverly Hills" fantasies by at least camping on the parade route in style?

Emily conducted some serious research this morning for the best possible warm drinkie poo made with St. Germain.  I have selected the winner as none other than the "Winter Cup." Although not physically warm, it definitely will warm your insides. 


1 part St. Germain
2 parts spiced rum
1 part freshly squeezed lime juice
1 slice of each strawberry, lemon, lime, orange
1 pinch of mint
2 dashes of angostura bitters

Muddle the fruit and mint.  Add the remaining ingredients and shake lightly.  Pour into a rocks glass.  Garnish with mint. 

Like all of the recipes on the St. Germain website, it is easy to make, too.  I hope it warms you or at least puts you in the apres ski mode as you are standing on a parade route somewhere this week/weekend. 

And, for those of you who are not lucky enough to live in New Orleans or visit for Mardi Gras this year, I think the Winter Cup is absolute perfection for your signature cocktail at your Winter Olympics party for the opening ceremonies!

Cheers,

JSH

P.S.  My love for St. Germain (and, moreso, the beautiful bottle) runs so deep, I decided that I had to display the bottle even after the contents were--eh--gone.  So, I made a dish soap dispenser for our sink.  Easiest.  Project.  Ever.  Just take of the (gorgeous) top and replace it with a liquor bottle dispenser. 



                                          
 Isn't she pretty, just sitting on the sink?


No comments:

Post a Comment